• Read Me First
• Download & Installation Help
• How to Automatically Update Your Legacy Program
• Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista Compatibility
• Solutions by Error Number
• Solutions by Error Description
• Report a bug
This guide is provided to help our customers during those times (evenings, weekends and holidays) when we are not available to answer our phones, respond to e-mail messages or answer faxes. In addition our phone line often get quite busy and you may need to leave a message.
When you have a question or problem, please follow the steps below before contacting us. It may save you the cost of a long distance phone call or delay in responding to email.
Click here for contact information.
- Make certain that your computer meets minimum system requirements:
- Pentium class computer.
- VGA or higher display.
- Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows ME*, Windows 98*, Windows NT, Windows 2000 (Legacy runs on newer Macs with Windows installed under Bootcamp, Parallel or Fusion. Legacy runs on Linux machines with a Windows emulator like VMWare or Sun's Virtual Box)
- A Hard Disk with 97.8 megabytes of available space.
- A CD-ROM drive.
- 256 megabytes of RAM minimum.
- A mouse.
- Internet connection recommended.
- IE7 if you want to use the Bing Mapping feature.
* Win 95, Win 98, and Win Me need all available Microsoft Service Packs installed.
- Check the online User's Guide for solutions
The Help system contains many tutorials and instructions. Often, the information you are seeking is available in the online User's Guide. When you run into a problem, or have a question while using Legacy, click on Help or press F1. The help system is context-sensitive and tries to answer questions about the current task.
The Legacy Help file now has a new topic called "New Features Not in the Manual." This contains a summary of all the new things that have been added to Legacy since the manual was printed. You should refer to this topic each time a new update is posted on our web site. You can find the top from the Contents page of the Help file under the Overview heading. (If this section does not appear in Help, please update your Legacy program.)
Click Here for additional guidance in using the Legacy program.
Click Here to view Legacy Training Videos for Beginners.
- Quit the program and reboot your computer
Sometimes Windows just needs a fresh start.
- Make sure you can repeat the problem
Often, trying to recreate a problem leads to a better understanding of the cause. Sometimes the problem will never recur.
- Always make sure that Legacy 7.5 has the latest Update (build) installed
Many problems have already been fixed in the Updates. Your problem may be one of them.
Legacy 7.5 will automatically connect you to the most current Update.
When contacting Technical Support it is important that your program have the same version number as our Technical Support Representative's. You can also find the build date of your Legacy program by clicking on Help > General Information. The build date line is in the middle of the second line.
Click Here for Update problems with Legacy running under Windows Vista.
Note: This update will result in serious problems if installed over Legacy 2.0 and overwrite Legacy 3, 4, 5 and 6 Deluxe with Legacy 7.5 Standard Edition. (The Deluxe features will no longer be available.) If you are using the Deluxe Edition of an earlier version, you will need to buy the Legacy 7.5 Deluxe upgrade if you wish to continue using your deluxe features. Special upgrade prices for Legacy 6.0 Deluxe users are available by visiting: http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/DeluxeUpgrade.asp
- Run ScanDisk on your hard drive
If there are Legacy file errors on your hard disk from sudden power loss, improper shut down or computer lock up, ScanDisk will fix them.
- Run a virus scan of your hard drive
Viruses can corrupt or delete files that programs need to run correctly. Be certain to scan your backup disks for viruses also and make sure your antiviral software is up-to-date.
- If your family file becomes unusable, restore it from your most recent backup copy
Click here for guidance in making and restoring backup files.
- If you are a Legacy Deluxe user, keep your Deluxe Customer Number handy.
Write the number in the front of your users guide, print out the e-mail order confirmations, and/or keep the invoice from Millennia Corp. You never know when you may need the number to contact us or unlock the Deluxe features again in the event you have to re-install Legacy.
- If you are using an earlier version of Legacy, please upgrade to Legacy 7.5. The standard edition is FREE!
Click here for help with downloading and installing Legacy 7.5. Many problems in earlier editions have been fixed in Legacy Family Tree 7.5. (We are no longer correcting problems in earlier editions.)
Click here for help with downloading and installing Legacy and unlocking the Deluxe Edition features.
Click Here for help with Windows Vista computers
Click here for help installing Legacy 7.5 to a different location.
Click Here for information on updating your Legacy program.
• Error 5
• Error 7
• Error 9
• Error 13
• Error 51
• Error 70
• Error 75
Backup and Restore Problems
Freezing, Crashing, General Protection Faults, Invalid Page Faults
Download and Installation Problems
Family File/Database Questions and Problems
GEDCOM File Problems
Geo Location Database Problems
Notes and Spell Check Problems
Printing and PDF File Problems
• Unlocking Legacy Deluxe
Web Page Creation